Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Falling Off The Wagon...and getting back on again #MyMeaCulpa

Life passing you by...
Hey beautiful people

First, I have to apologize for being both MIA and AWOL from here for quite a while. Life happened, blah blah blah (or is it bleh bleh bleh like Dracula in Hotel Transylvania? I digress...) So yes, I do have that excuse...but that's exactly what it is - an excuse.

Have you ever fallen off the wagon? I clearly have, and case in point, blogging. Where did I lose myself, where did I fall, and where did I land?


When I started this blog and its accompanying site, the major goal was visibility. I was building my reader base, getting to know people online, but that was a very small catchment area for attention, so what advice did I follow? Yes - increase your visibility by getting more people to your blog. How did I do that? Blog spotlights and review tours and other such book tours were the preferred route.

And then it caught up with me - I was reviewing not for fun & pleasure, but as a duty to the date booked. Then I looked at the string of 'last posts' on my Dashboard and saw that they were about books I had read and signed up to spotlight.

Which got me thinking - I no longer wanted to do this, but the real kicker came when I realized what I was putting my readers through. Yes, you people - you signed up/come here to 'meet' me (lol, I know it's just a handful of people, but even if it had been just one person, I have failed you.) Why are you really here? It might be about my books - you liked one or more and want to know more about when the next is coming, and how it is coming along. Or you liked me as a person, and wanted to get glimpses into my crazy/nutty/over-the-top life and maybe get a laugh from the antics happening in my existence. Maybe you came here for both these reasons.

In which case, I have let you down, because there was no longer any 'me' present in this space. Zee had vacated the spot, without an excuse, without an apology, without, it seems, any due consideration. Pretty terrible person, I would say... I'd hate to have been treated like that. I didn't give my readers any dues, and I fell prey to that awful bug known as 'marketing and visibility by all means'. Book/blog/review tours would've brought 'their' people to my blog...but what about 'my' people? I left them high and dry...

So here is my Mea Culpa, peeps. I'm sorry for having been such an asshat person in the past year and more. I apologize for not paying you, my readers and followers, due consideration and also instead turning into one of those voices that just shouts in the dark without any care nor concern for how many eardrums of those who close to her she is bursting.

Can I say I am back here, for good? Me, and nothing but me? I am trying to say just that...if you people will still have me. Once a week - I'm not asking for much, but I'll understand if you don't want to advance me even an ounce of your attention. I'll work for it, I promise...

Gosh, feels good to be back, to be talking to ye all again!

From Mauritius with love,

Zee

2 comments:

Kathy Bosman said...

Yay, I can't wait to read your blog posts. The personal touch is always better - something I need to work on too.

Zee Monodee said...

Thank you, sweetie! :) Feels good to be back to simply being me, LOL! <3