Sunday, February 17, 2013

#snippetsunday OnceUponASecondChance the Muslim #1NS: Does Khalid turn left or right? #samplesunday

Hey beautiful people!

I'm up to my eyeballs in edits on the IslandGirls trilogy, and also trying my best to dig myself out of a horrendous, exponentially-growing inbox. But guess what? I managed to pop my head out of the rolling waves enough to jump here and post a snippet this Sunday.

And yay - we officially have a name! No longer Refugees, but SnippetSunday junkies. Love that one. :) Trust me, we've got lots in store for ye all. The list keeps growing every week, more and more people joining the "cause".

Don't believe me? Then jump over to the official group on FB and take a peek.

But anyhow, back to the topic here and now... I'm bringing you back to Mauritius, to the junction at the entrance of the coastal village of Grand Baie, known as the Mauritian Cote d'Azur, or our version of St Tropez.
The hero of my 1NS, the unwilling Khalid Al-Nadir, finds himself stalled in a traffic jam in his rental Jaguar, debating what to do. If he turns left, he can go meet his estranged wife, whom he abandoned (out of good intentions, mind... Last week's snippet will give you an idea), but if he turns right, he'll be on the road to meeting his one night stand date. What will he do? Read on to find out...


'...
The traffic light switched to green. Snapping out of his thoughts, he gunned the engine and swerved the car to the right in a screech of burning tires, away from the winding lane leading to her house, and toward his rendezvous for the night.
Carole’s work, once again; she had signed him up at a dating service called 1NightStand, and informed him he’d better be ready to go on the blind date Madame Eve would set up for him soon. She knew he didn’t do casual sex, but insisted he step out and meet a girl. Full stop. As if things could be so simple with her involved. The woman had worked as a strategic analyst before she joined the board of directors of one of the biggest banking groups of the Indian Ocean. He was about to be played, but damn if he’d let her get the upper hand, even if she loved to pull the “paradise lies under the feet of thy mother” card whenever it suited her. No way out for him this time.

...'


Want to read the whole of Chapter 1? Then head here.
Interested enough in the book? Then here's where you can grab your copy!
Amazon, Amazon UK, Decadent website, AllRomance Ebooks, Barnes & Noble (Nook), Smashwords

Peeps taking part and that I hope you'll visit (I'll be dropping by theirs in a few hours) - Heather Boyd, Gem Sivad, JoAnne Kenrick, Sherry Gloag, Joya Fields, Paula Martin, Joyce Scarbrough, Sarah Ballance, Siobhan Muir, Elin Gregory, Sue Ann Bowling, Joanne Stewart, & Karysa Faire - on the official SnippetSunday FB group.

It's nippy with a touch of rain here today, peeps. Hope you're faring better wherever you are in the world!

From Mauritius with love,

Zee

9 comments:

Sarah W said...

Why do I think that either direction will take him to the same place, anyway? Great snippet!

Brenda Ashworth Barry said...

he won't let her get the upper hand. I loved his inner thoughts. Great scene. :-)

Siobhan Muir said...

Ah, decision made, and consequences approaching. I love the set up, Zee. Thank you so much for the mention, too. <3 :D

JoAnne Kenrick said...

Awesome set up and I loved the light change and screech of tires. Really showed his emotions in such few words.

The Belle in Blue said...

Well, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do! Lots of character insight in this snippet. Can't wait for next week!

~Joyce Scarbrough

Jess Schira said...

It's a great snippet, but I got to say, the name of the dating service really cracked me up. Great snippet, Zee!

Sarah Ballance said...

This snippet makes me want to read the next sentences ... and the next. You always pull me in, Zee!

Sue Ann Bowling said...

I've read the book (I like it) so won't comment. But nippy? It's warm here--+2F.

SherryGLoag said...

His edginess flows of the 'page'. Great snipppet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...