Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Author Alexa Bourne drops by with Simple Treasures!

Hey peeps!

It's a pleasure today to welcome an absolutely amazing author and a wonderful lady I'm honoured to call a friend. She's... Alexa Bourne! And lol, with a name like that, no wonder she writes dead-sexy Alpha heroes for the Honor Guard line at Decadent Publishing. *grin*

She's here today to tell us a bit about herself, and talk about one of her books. So grab a coffee and pull up a seat.

So, Alexa, welcome! Tell us a bit about you, and something we don't know/wouldn't expect about you.

I’m a teacher by day and a writer by nights, weekends and all school holidays! I’m a bit of an adventurer- I’ve lived in 5 states, visited 11 countries and I spent a month in Mexico on an immersion program to help me learn Spanish.

Teacher? Hats off! I do not have patience to deal with students! J

A list of favorites:

Favorite moment of the day- Sunset. I love the colors and the clouds and the sky. It reminds me how I’m just a part of the world and how I should be thankful for every single day.

Favorite day of the week- Sunday, because I can sleep in.

Favorite food and/or drink- pizza, but I couldn’t tell you why.

Favorite TV show- I have way too many to name! Some are NCIS, NCIS: LA, Supernatural, The Glades- I like those because they’re mostly suspense. I also like Doc Martin and Downton Abbey because they’re English.
Favorite actor/eye candy- Matt Damon, Chris Hemsworth. Do I really need to say why?????

Nope, not necessary at all! J

Favorite piece of clothing- pajamas, because they’re comfortable.

You're a color – which one are you and why?

Blue, because it’s calming and pretty and reminds me of the ocean and the sky.

What’s your biggest indulgence?

I know many people LOVE chocolate, and I do too, but my biggest indulgence is bread. I LOVE all sorts of breads and rolls, especially if they’re warm with butter melting into them. YUM! Just typing this is making my mouth water!

You mentioned one of my vices! Everything tastes better with butter! LOL.

Why “writing”?

Why not? Actually, I love telling suspense stories, but I’m so not a good person to have in a crisis. I panic too easily. 

Pantster or plotter?

Pantser who eventually plots. J

How do you approach a new book/develop an idea into a book?

All my rough drafts start out when I only know the characters and maybe one scene idea. It’s through that first draft that I learn more about the characters and the plot. After that first rough draft, I sit down and write out the first version of the plot. It may change (and often does!) in one of my other drafts. I do 4-6 drafts per story. I also start each book on paper. As I get closer to being finished with the story, I spend more time on the computer.

I admire your discipline! I cannot move ahead until everything gels in my head.

If there's one book you wish you had written, which one is it and why that book in particular?

What an interesting question! I guess I’d have to say I wish I’d written Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It’s an absolutely fantastic story, with so many fans. That book was also the inspiration for me to get serious about writing.

Well, seems like Outlander is a very popular answer to this question. I need to break out a copy...

Why the genre in which you write?

I grew up watching TV shows where the bad guys got what was coming to them. I still like reading and watching those stories. It felt natural to move into writing my own.

Oh yeah - baddies get their just desserts. My fave!

Characters – do yours scare you, make you wonder how on earth you’re gonna convey their story?

Sometimes the villains scare me! The heroes and heroines don’t scare me. I know that if I just listen to them I’ll be able to get their story written the right way. (If I don’t listen, they stop talking to me. J)

What unique factor do you think you bring to the book/story market?

At the moment, I think the unique factor is I write stories set in the UK but they’re all contemporary. We have TONS of fabulous historical Scottish and English stories, and I even tried to write one, but what about the fantastic characters of the current age?

Very true!

Best advice you've received, and that you'd want others to know?
Don’t give up.

Tell us about your latest release

My latest release is called Simple Treasures.

Take-charge bodyguard Colin Munro believes working for the International Protective Network will be the perfect occupation for him. Unfortunately, his trial assignment is protecting a woman who has no intention of blindly following orders. Aye, he’ll bring the bonnie lass in line because there’s no way he’ll allow her to ruin his chance of securing his dream job.
Physically and emotionally scarred during her stint as a U.S. soldier, Joanna Grainger wants nothing more than to enjoy life. New Year's Eve in Edinburgh marks the beginning of her transformation. But when she witnesses a crime no one believes occurred, her plans come to a screeching halt. To make matters worse, her sexy but headstrong bodyguard has no compassion for her or the victim.
As danger hunts them during one of the busiest time of the year, Joanna must convince Colin she's a worthy partner. But first, can she convince herself?


In 5 words:

     Your book - sexy romantic suspense with fireworks!
      Your heroine - care-free optimist, but emotionally scarred
      Your hero - bull-headed, determined, focused, hot, take-charge
      Your setting/location - Edinburgh, Scotland during New Year’s
      You as an author - driven, obsessive, optimist, constantly learning

What real-life actors are playing the roles?

I have to “cast” my story before I can really get into the characters, but I never reveal the actors I choose. Why? Because what I find hot and sexy may not be what the reader find hot and sexy and I want the reader to find the right person for herself.

Arghh! I wanted to know! Guess I'll have to get the book and forge my own picture, innit?

Now this movie needs a soundtrack – what songs/tracks best fit your book?

I listened to mostly Celtic and Christmas/New Year’s music for this story.


Where can we find you and your books?

www.alexabourne.com
http://alexabourne.blogspot.com
@AlexaBourne on Twitter
 http://www.facebook.com/AuthorAlexaBourne
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5818611.Alexa_Bourne

Buy Links for Simple Treasures:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Treasures-Honor-Series-ebook/dp/B00ASDELAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1356318198&sr=1-1
Decadent Publishing: http://www.decadentpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=695&osCsid=c4f503tisneu0ck64d4qbfspb7
All Romance Ebooks:  https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-simpletreasures-1031942-149.html
Barnes & Noble:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/simple-treasures-alexa-bourne/1045488229?ean=2940016157382


Thanks for the answers, and for coming over! I'm totally stoked to have you visiting.

Thanks so much for having me!

From Mauritius with love,

Zee

10 comments:

Cara Carnes said...

Hi Alexa and Zee!!! That is such a stunningly gorgeous cover. I loved the interview too. I have an addiction for bread too and between that and you mentioning pizza my dieting tummy is grumbling:)

I look forward to reading Simple Treasures and thanks fir the great post:)

Irene Preston said...

Mmmmm, bread. You are right. If I had to give up one, chocolate would have to go. Yes, yes, I'm a HUGE carb addict!


I've got SIMPLE TREASURES on my kindle and I'm starting it tonight - can't wait!

Pat McDermott said...

What a fun interview! Zee, I enjoyed visiting your blog. Alexa, Simple Treasures sounds amazing, fireworks and all. Best of luck with it, and with all your writing!

April Kihlstrom said...

Great interview! Laughed about the bread, nodded about not wanting to cast actors for one's characters. And what a great cover for the book!

Jan Hudson said...

This book is great--as always!

Bread is nice
But chocolate's my vice.

Hugs!
Janece

jean maxwell said...

A nice interview that moves quickly but gave the reader insight.

Laughed that A. has the smarts to keep who she imagines as her hero to herself to allow readers to form their own vision. Very smart idea.

Glad you are an educator. It is a harder job than people want to admit. If you plan to be a concealed carrier remember you can sew buttons on your blouse and use snaps underneath to reach your weapon rapidly. But, be well trained in shooting and prepared not to hesitate on your first shot.

Without the predetermined decisiveness to shot another person you risk the shooter or a student taking your weapon away. Well since you were a little slow, I stirred the soup of controversy.

I'm looking forward to reading this book. jean

Alexa said...

Thanks for being my 1st visitor, Cara!

Irene, I hope you like Simple Treasures!

Thanks for your comments, Pat!

Thanks, April. Yeah, I've been very lucky with my covers so far.

I still love chocolate, Jan! I mean, I wouldn't turn any away.

LOL, Jean! You definitely wouldn't want me carrying a weapon. I'm NOT the best person for a dangerous crisis.

Liza O'Connor said...

nice cover. I brought pans to bang about, but it seems lively enough without my clattering. Lucky you.

Zee Monodee said...

Wow! Thanks everyone who came over. Been awesome to welcome you up on here (sorry I've been MIA. That's somehow also known as 'Life', though, and I'm sure you'll understand...

XOXO, ye all!!

Alexa said...

Thanks, Liza! I've loved ALL my covers so far! Yes, lucky me!

No worries, Zee! Thanks for inviting me over!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...