Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Next Best Thing: A Sneak Peek into my latest series, Havisham Park

Hey beautiful people!

The lovely Charisma Knight tagged me last week in her TNBT post - today, it is now up to me to answer the 10 questions of this gigantic, exponential hop, and tell you a little more about my current WIP.

I've just finished putting finishing touches to my Island Girls series, but no rest for the wicked, innit? I'm already delving into a new one. This one has been a while in the making, have had this idea brewing for a long time, and suddenly, a few weeks ago, it seemed like the right time to give in to these characters.

So let's get on with the questions and answers!


What is the working title of your book?

This one is Book#1 in the Havisham Park series. The title is Whisk Me Up

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I had an idea to write a light, comedic series with a small-town British feel, and that would follow the lives and loves of 3 sisters. From there, the "world" would be built for the Havisham Park series - the stories set in and around Havisham Park, a stately North Yorkshire residence, and the collection of villages around it in the Yorkshire Dales.

What genre does your book fall under?

Contemporary romance, small-town romance, romantic comedy

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie?

The characters actually came into being through images of actors/famous people, so this question is really easy for me to answer. :)

The heroine, Mary Beth Beresford, is an anorexic model who's been whisked to Havisham Park so she can recover her health and purge her life of the crazy demands of the international modelling world. At the same time, Mary Beth is at heart a fragile and gentle young woman who hopes to find love one day.
Actress Yvonne Strahovski struck me as the perfect Mary Beth - with the beauty to be a model, but the fragility of a vulnerable woman, too.



The hero, Nyall Barry, is a chef who owns the local pub in the closest village to Havisham Park (as in, the actual residence). A huge man, he is more comfortable in his kitchen and behind the stoves than in the public spotlight.
I've had a crush on wrestler Triple H ever since the first time I saw him, so Nyall immediately painted himself with the face, body, and long hair (!) of Triple H when I imagined him.



What is a one sentence synopsis of your book?

The recipe for a fulfilled life always involves love...and trust...

Will your book be self published or represented by an agency/publisher?

I hope to offer this book, and its whole series, to my current publisher, Decadent Publishing.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

No answer to this one as I haven't yet started the first draft, lol. I'm looking at 6-7 weeks tops to have a first draft in hand, though.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Susan Mallery's Fool's Gold series, as well as Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

Castle Howard, this immense, stately residence set in North Yorkshire. This image here is the front view, and the above image at the post's start is that of the south/back facing facade and gardens.



I've been in awe of this place ever since I saw it in the movie Garfield:A Tale of Two Kitties. Just knew I had to use that place as a location for a story. It's only logical that when I planned this series, it decided to happen in one such castle.

What else about your book might interest the reader?

Most small-town romances are set in the US; there are very few that showcase England and English life.
I also plan a slew of quirky characters... and did I mention there's a street called Millionaire's Row in town, where only hot, handsome, and very rich single men live? *grin*


So here's a sneak peek at my latest project, peeps! I'm eager to hear what you think about this one!

I'm not tagging anyone to continue this hop - usually, they would've had to answer the questions next Wednesday, Dec 19, and tag 4 people of their own. But everyone I've contacted has already played the game at some point in the past, so I'm afraid I'm at a loss of options here. Forgive me for not continuing this forward, in this case.

From Mauritius with love,

Zee

2 comments:

Natalie G. Owens said...

You know I can't wait to dig into this series, do you? :D

Zee Monodee said...

Lol, sis! I'm looking forward to sharing it with you :) XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...