Saturday, November 17, 2012

S.L. Scott, Author of NATURALLY, CHARLIE, drops by for an interview!

Hey beautiful people!

A little while ago, I came upon a book that was releasing in November. Since I'm always on the path looking for good books, modern fare, contemporary romance, rom-com/chick-lit feel, this one caught my eye with its cover. Love at first glance - yes, it was for me! The title - Naturally, Charlie - and the blurb (following down) further had me excited to read this one.

I just started this, so unfortunately, I'm not able to review it today here. But the little I've seen already has me convinced this one will be a keeper.

And lo and behold - suddenly, I had the chance to interview the book's author, S.L. Scott, and needless to say, I jumped on the opp.
Here she is today answering my questions (that she thought were fun! Thank goodness, lol), and telling us a little more about Naturally, Charlie.

Are you curious, too? Well, check out the blurb, then read on for the interview. *grin*


Twenty-five year old Charlotte “Charlie” Barrow is caught between her old life and the one she is beginning to build when she crosses paths with a handsome stranger on the subway. Not looking for romance, she closes her heart off to the possibilities of love. With a knack for mishaps, Charlie maintains her sense of humor while befriending the kind stranger who seems to be there at all the right times.

New York freelance writer, Charlie Adams, is forging his own path beyond the expectations of the society circles of his childhood. Rejecting family money, and fast-lane friends, he is snubbed by his family as he follows his own compass to a life more extraordinary.

Through a coincidence of events, they come to rely on each other for comfort. This is the tale of two Charlies learning to trust again while fighting their fates to create their own destiny.



First of all, S, thanks for coming over and answering this doc! I'm getting such a thrill out of having people over on my blog J

Thank you for having me. I’m excited to be here. Love your heart in the sand banner image too.

Tell us a bit about you, and something we don't know/wouldn't expect about you.

I love the beach and avocados, pineapples, and knee high boots. Oh wait, not what you wanted to know about? Lol Sorry about that.
I’ve written in some form my whole life. I have a stack of poems from when I was much younger, wrote a children’s book for kids (we printed it on a photo book website for them), and wrote six full length manuscripts before getting a publishing contract for Naturally, Charlie.
I just self published a novelette on Amazon called Morning Glory which was fun to write and exciting to publish.
As for don’t know… hmmm… I am so chatty that I tell everybody everything. Maybe most don’t know that I’m the Queen of Cakewalks. If I enter one, I win. One time I won five in a row. I was also been banned by several cakewalks when I was little. They deemed it unfair somehow. haha. My oldest kiddo inherited this great trait. My youngest is untested in the cakewalk arena thus far.

Nooo - you had me at 'knee-high boots' - fellow shoeholic here!! And another fellow Chatty Cathy - we were so destined to meet, you and I! J

What’s your favorite moment of the day, and why?

I love sunset in the late fall when the skies and my house inside take on a golden hue. It’s beautiful.

You're a color – which one are you and why?

I’m blue, but I’m not a downer of a person.  I’m just drawn to the bright sky blues, periwinkles, and navy feels classic and crisp to me.

There's definitely something about blue!

Why become a writer?

It’s a passion that has always been there from when I was little. When I was younger, the image of an old typewriter, pencil over the ear, and letting my imagination run free was exciting to me. I have a journalism degree so I followed my heart in that way. I must say that laptops are amazing, but definitely not as visually captivating to me when I imagine working those long hours typing away.

Okay, would it hurt to admit here that I've never seen, let alone use, a typewriter...? Guess not... I absolutely love the sound of the keys, though. At one point, I had the software that replicated that sound. J

As writers, we are bombarded with ideas every minute of every day. How do you sort through these ideas, to stick to the 'viable' ones?

My viable ideas are the ones that speak the loudest in my and I can’t let go of until I get the basic concept out on paper or typed out. Sometimes I’m in the car and it becomes frustrating because I just want to pull over and write away. When I do park, I immediately grab my phone and take notes so the idea doesn’t slip away before I have a chance to type it out at my house.

If there's one book you wish you had written, which one is it and why that book in particular?

I’m going with a classic – Pride and Prejudice. Its prose is beautiful, her characters well thought out and rounded –they think, they love, there’s humor, deception, villains, and a hero and heroine worthy of each other. Although that writing was reflective of Austen’s time, the themes are still current and have valuable lessons relevant today.

Very true! P&P is an enduring classic!
 
Which is easier for you – narrative, or dialogue?

I love dialogue. Naturally, Charlie is written in first person so the dialogue comes from an inner place that feels right for them. They speak their reactions a lot of times instead of the reader reading about how they react. They blurt, and joke, and say things that make up who they are that are discovered best through the things they say.

Preferred genre to write?

I’m a sucker for a good romance. I love to read it and I love to write it. I like the journey the story can take bonding two characters together and seeing how they get from one stage to the next.

Oooh, romance-holic here too! There's nothing better than a good romance. (Okay, maybe knee-high boots...J)

How do you get into your characters' heads and shoes?

I live with them. I know their favorite foods and the types of books they like to read, their favorite places to go, favorite music genre, and painters. Which teams they root for and the types of movies they watch.
I think they’re easier to write when you really understand who they are on the inside. You’ll have a better understanding on how they act and react to situations or other characters in the situation.

Drafts, edits, polishing – love or loathe? Can you please explain?

Love… for about three complete edits. Lol. After three rounds, it gets harder to do. I know it’s necessary though and can bring me closer to a getting the story I intended to tell, clearer. Sometimes an idea strikes once it’s cleaned up and then I have the chance to make adjustments that can better the story in my opinion.

What unique factor do you think you bring to the book/story market?

My characters have flaws and quirks. They are perfectly scripted (well, they are by me), but they react how people react – real and sometimes raw. They don’t always do what is so obvious to us as readers would be the right thing to do. They are realistic and I think that makes their journey more fun- watching them bumble a bit to get to the place they were always destined to be.

Best advice you've received, and that you'd want others to know?

An agent once told me to make sure and never over-workshop your story. They see a lot of that and she said what you’re left with is the bones of a story with no meat to it.
I think we can all edit, rewrite, edit, rewrite a million times if given the chance. So when I’m editing, I make sure to keep the meat, but try to trim the unnecessary fat.
I try to always give this advice if asked: Write for Yourself. If you write for others then that is the story they would write and not the one you intended. I think writing for others is also what can cause some forms of writer’s block. The author doesn’t know where to go from there because they had other’s guiding their storyline decisions from the beginning.

Very good advice! Thanks!

Tell us about your latest release.

Naturally, Charlie is the tale of two Charlies learning to trust again while fighting their fates to create their own destiny.
I’m very excited to share this story. It’s one that makes me happy and I loved spending time with the characters and following along on their journey.

In 5 words:
      Your bookhappy, journey, friendship, humor, love
      Your heroineWarm, quirky, hopeful, smart, fun-loving
      Your heroCaring, patient, funny, intelligent, sexy
      You as an authordedicated, overanalyzes, creative, loving, fun


Let's say your book is a movie – which one does it most closely resemble?

I totally see Naturally, Charlie as a movie – a romantic comedy. I call it a modern day When Harry Met Sally with a touch of Serendipity and a bit of quirkiness fun of Bridget Jones’ Diary.

Hmmm, that sounds totally like my kind of read/preferred entertainment. Cannot wait to get fully to this book!

What real-life actors are playing the roles?

This is fun. Let’s cast the two Charlies: Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling would make amazing Charlies.

Oooh, what a cute couple they'd make!

Now this movie needs a soundtrack – what songs/tracks best fit your book?

I put together a playlist on my website because music is such a huge part of my writing process. Some songs off of the top of my head (on and off the current listed playlist):
Safety Suit – These Times
Rufus Wainwright – Sometimes You Need
Erin McCarley – Love, Save the Empty
Youngblood Hawke – We Come Running
Michael Kiwanuka – Home
Gomez -  Song in My Heart


Where can we find you and your books?

www.slscottauthor.com
Amazon, Barnes & Noble online, my website, iBooks, and The Writer’s Coffee Shop website.

Thanks for the answers, and for coming over! I'm totally stoked to have you visiting J XOXO

This was a really fun interview. Thank you for having me here and for the smiles.
XO,
S.

*****

I can already guarantee this one is a fabulous read, people! Go get it, ASAP! You won't be disappointed!

From Mauritius with love,

Zee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for hosting me on your website. I really did have a good time and am honored to be featured here.

xo,
S.L.

Zee Monodee said...

You are most welcome, S! Was a pleasure to host you and get to discover this little gem of yours :) XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...