Friday, June 03, 2011

Progress Friday

Hello beautiful people

Sorry I've been AWOL for the past 4 days. I received the first round of edits on Walking The Edge and it's been a consuming task to get the manuscript in tip top shape (and agree with Noble Romance Publishing's Style Guide). That's quite something - a pub house's style guide. Of course, there are some basic rules all houses follow - and the savvy author knows to already work those conditions into her story before submitting - but what some places agree on and refuse, others refuse and agree... and you're left with a rather 'unique' set of conditions and rules to which you have to abide.

That being said, I've learned tons in the past few days. My editor too is a darling, a woman with whom I've really connected (thank goodness! Lol), and she's really making the story sing. Already, after the first round of edits itself, I cannot believe how the story is reading so much better. Which goes to show that you always, always need another set of professional eyes on your ms.

What else has been going on? Well, taking in the 'big games' of the French Open. Roland Garros without big surprises this year too - well, maybe not on the Singles Women's side. Can you believe Maria Sharapova is out, knocked off by this amazing 'newcomer', Na Li, from China. On the Men's side, not any surprises. Waiting for the clash of the titans today, when Roger Federer plays against Novak Djokovic. Two of my favourite men on the tennis circuit - I have no idea who to support...

Other than that, I haven't gotten anything else done this past week. Edits are time consuming, especially when you're an anal perfectionist like me. Not to mention that I can only 'work' when my son is at school, since I turn into the 'teacher' when he comes home and I have to check his lessons and homework.

Add to it too that I was without power for most of yesterday, at - you guessed it! - exactly the time when my son was in school. Upgrade works on the specific power lines on our street alone, and then those stinking idiots pulled down our phone line and only botched it back in late yesterday evening. Thank goodness they connected the Internet line (though botched coz my connection is terribly slow today!) - we're still without our land line coz those stinking idiots (forgive me for repeating myself, because these jerks are really stinking idiots!) 'forgot' to connect the second line. Sheesh...

Now looking forward to a chill weekend. Got tons of books to read, and a new story to start too... Excited about that one, because it's a venture I'm doing with my bestie, author Angela Guillaume. Will tell you more soon, promise!

What have you planned this weekend?

From Mauritius with love,

Zee

6 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

I'm happy to hear that you like your editor. Can't wait for the book to come out.

Didn't know you and Angela were collaborating. Sound like a great idea!

Have a great weekend, and remember to really chill ...

M.J. Kane said...

Trying to work when it's quiet and being held up sucks! Glad to see your holding it down though. Keep it up, girl and get that rest! Before you know it, the weekend will be over and time to repeat the cycle again.

Congrats on the collab!

Zee Monodee said...

Yup, Chicki. I really like my editor - we clicked on many levels, not just professionally, and in a short time she's become a friend as well.

The project with Angela is something totally new, which we ironed out only last week. A totally impulsive thing, really. :) But it feels great, and that's what matters.

Have a great weekend too, girl! Lol, I will remember to chill. :) XOXO

Zee Monodee said...

MJ, I wasn't holding it down yesterday! That electric company crew must've gotten totally sick thanks to all the curses I mumbled on them!

Oh yeah - that weekend will fly by. Will tell you more about the collab soon, promise.

Hugs!!

Unknown said...

hey girlie!
I'm glad you came out of the edits round relatively 'unscathed'. Noble sounds really professional, and I'm glad they're putting tons of work on your story.
I'm also really chuffed about our venture. Can't wait to share it with the world! :-D
hugs,
Ang
x

Zee Monodee said...

Hiya sweets!
Noble keeps amazing me at every turn - they're a great house, very professional, who know exactly what they are doing. It's a joy to be working with such folks!
Can't wait to share either, lol.
Hugs back, sis!!