Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tidbit Tuesday: Sights and Sound from Mauritius

Hey everyone!

Today I'm gonna share with you a piece of music that hit the Mauritian charts a few years back. Originally a song devised and sung by a Gospel singer, it was adopted as a national hit and stayed a top chart winner for many consecutive weeks.

The song has a very progressive, electro sound to its music, and when it first came out (especially because you first hear English lyrics on it), everyone thought it was 'foreign' song. Nobody believed a Mauritian had come up with the sound and tune - but this became obvious when you later on hear the same English lyrics being now sung in the local language Creole on the track. The singer also came into the spotlight - his name is King and he's active in Gospel circles.

The song is titled Let Me Fly. I've always loved its sound - its one of my favourites. A friend of mine found the link and posted it on Facebook - I thought I'd share it with you all here. :)

Take a listen, and watch the clip too - there are some gorgeous images of Mauritian landscapes along the stills. It also portrays a very 'modern' Mauritius, not just the picture-perfect postcard but also with iconic buildings, waterfronts, and other landscapes which make up the island as we know it today.

Enjoy!



From Mauritius with love,

Zee

10 comments:

J Hali Steele said...

Zee, beautiful, I love the sound, and added it to my playlist! Now I really want to visit you!!

Chicki Brown said...

Okay, Zee ... Now I'm ready to pack up and move. You are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place! Question: what are those things in the water at 1:18?

Zee Monodee said...

Lol J! You're welcome anytime.

The song's good, innit? It has a perennial sound to it, that crosses the years and still keeps it fresh.

Hugs!

Zee Monodee said...

Hey Chicki

Yup, truly blessed indeed! I can't think of a more beautiful place, Mauritius is home and I cannot conceive of living anywhere else.

Okay, at 1:18, that's a variety of water lilly - in French we call in Nenuphars. It's not indigenous to the island though, and this image is of the SSR Botanical Gardens, which are found in the North. The estate is a treasure trove of botanical species, created by the 'intendant' of a French governor back in the late 1700s. The estate also houses a small 'chateau' that was the governor's residence.
At 2:47, you can see the water lilly flower, albeit on a smaller variety of the plant.

Hugs!

Sheri Fredricks said...

Hi Zee! I couldn't sit in my chair! That song had me wiggling my hips and dipping in moves I haven't done since my 20's! LOL! What a tropical paradise. Air Mauritius, book me NOW!

Author GE Stills said...

Hi IG
The only thing I can say is Fantaboulous, beautiful and I'm green with envy. lol

Zee Monodee said...

Hey Sheri!

Lol, the music's cool, gotta admit that. Yup, it's a tropical paradise indeed (well, minus the nagging aunties who all want to see you married the minute you hit eighteen, lol).

Thanks for dropping by! Hugs!!

Zee Monodee said...

Hey GE aka Lizard Man

No, no, no - I admit lizards can be green, but green does not suit you, at all!

It's a beautiful island indeed. Thanks!

Hugs

M.J. Kane said...

Oh. My. God. I feel like I just went on vacation! I loved that song, it had me wiggling around in my chair. (couldn't get up to dance because my dog would have tried to jump in and join me.) If I lived somewhere like that I'd be on the beach everyday with pen and pad. What a beautiful sight to see! It's kinda making my huge window where my desk is located suck. Suddenly watching the trees blow in the breeze and the squirrles skimpering around is not as relaxing. Take me to the blue tropical waters please!

Meresha

Zee Monodee said...

Lol MJ! The music's good, innit? It kinda does that to you, makes you wanna get moving. :)

Oh believe me, I'd be at the beach too everyday if I could. Throw in kids and school, and the fact that most towns and densely-populated areas are inland - the closest beach I can get to is a 45 minutes drive (outside of rush hour!).

Now, yes, the rich can afford that seaside bungalow... :)

Hugs!